Question:
Whats a good cheap restaurant in Toronto?
Becky
2006-08-21 00:24:42 UTC
Whats a good cheap restaurant in Toronto?
Sixteen answers:
2006-08-22 10:12:01 UTC
thats a pretty wide open question, can you narrow it down a little?

what type of food, what part of toronto, how cheap
Laura B
2006-08-22 18:22:07 UTC
There are a lot of restaurants in Toronto that are not too expensive and still are serving good food (~$12 - $16) and many of the big chains are around.. like East Sides (Front St), Caseys (Front St), Swiss Chalet (Yonge St, also Bloor St), Pickle Barrel(Yonge/Dundas).

If you are near the Eaton's Center there is a Hard Rock Cafe just at the North East corner which is good and not too expensive.. and also Mr. Green Jeans up stairs at the North end (and of course a McDonalds at the south end and a foodcourt at both ends). Just North of the Eaton's Center there is Spring Rolls which is very reasonably priced and yummy Thai food. On Dundas between Yonge and University there are a lot of great little cheap places. I really like Hong Shings for Chinese and Al Fresco's for anything else (and these are *really* cheap).

Along Spadina you can get cheap Asian food, and across College just under the University there are some cheap student spots..

Really, there are tons of great priced yummy restaurants in Toronto, even the ones along Queen and King st aren't that expensive.. Check out www.toronto.com for more.
canucklehead1951
2006-08-21 23:57:22 UTC
It's not exactly in Toronto, but I highly recommend the Galaxie Restaurant in Woodbridge. It's a 50's style place with generous portions and great prices. It's located on the south side of #7 a little east of Pine Valley Drive, beside the TD Bank. Downsides are that you have to drive to get there and they don't serve alcohol. Minor details.
unaforce65
2006-08-21 16:36:40 UTC
I've never actually been to a restaurant inside Toronto but yes, Asian food in this area is so good and you'll get plenty of bang for your buck too. Another great burb to eat in is Markham. You'll find so many Asian malls there that you're not going to have enough time to try all the restaurants you want.
Louise On The Edge
2006-08-23 18:11:33 UTC
The one and only answer to that is The GOOF in Toronto's Beaches located at the eastern most part of Queen street.( AKA The Garden Gate)

They serve Chinese and Canadian/American fare. Cheap, Cheap, Cheap and Cheerful ;-)

http://www.the-beaches.com/thegoof.html
Gregnir
2006-08-24 07:29:06 UTC
For Okonomi House at 23 Charles St, West (a block south of Bloor and just west of Yonge) is a great little restaurant and really inexpensive.

http://pages.interlog.com/~gilgames/revokono.htm

http://www.dine.to/okonomihouse
lostheart s
2006-08-24 05:26:48 UTC
depends how cheap and what kind of food u want there are lots of cheap restaurants which serve good and cheap food but they are like spicy east Indian foods if u are interested visit Gerrard st in toronto .
jen
2006-08-23 22:45:05 UTC
California Sandwiches has good food, and not too pricey. Their chicken sandwiches are huge, and costs around 7 bucks. One is located on The Queensway, west of Kipling, on the south side, before the East Mall.
Pastel
2006-08-21 13:32:01 UTC
BOUJADI CAFE Moroccan restaurant

999 Eglinton Avenue West,

Open for dinner Wednesday through Sunday from 530 to 11 p.m.

416 - 440 - 0258

After ordering, we waited for about 40 minutes. After all that time, we were ready to leave, but we were starving, but finally it came. Well, it was worth the wait. There were four fabulous main dishes all sitting in a bed of couscous, olives, tomatoes and other interesting vegetables. This sampler included some incredibly delicious meat patties, chicken, Moroccan sausages and pastries stuffed with meat. This dish made the wait worthwhile.

The desert menu was short and at 3.75 each, cheap. We order a traditional Moroccan Shebakya desert which was also outstanding and large enough for two people to share. The meal, including two cocktails, came to 54.00 dollars including tax. That, along with high-quality food, helps explain why the BOUJADI CAFE Moroccan restaurant always seems to be packed.

http://www.whynotdine.com/Canadian_Restaurants/Toronto_Restaurant_Reviews/Value/International_Restaurants_Toronto/Boujadi/index.htm

The HotHouse Cafe

35 Church St. (Market Sq.) Toronto

416 366 7800

WhyNotDine.com's choice for the “Ultimate Traditional Value Restaurant” is The HotHouse Cafe. It's easy to make this recommendation because despite their huge menu, everything from their salads to their burgers to their pizza to their daily specials is well prepared, tastes great and is well priced. They also offer great specials like their 14.95 Wednesday Dinner buffet featuring their famous barbecued chicken, hip of beef and great Italian specialties as well as their award-winning 15.95 Sunday brunch.

http://www.whynotdine.com/Canadian_Restaurants/Toronto_Restaurant_Reviews/Value/Traditional_Restaurants_Toronto/HotHouseCafe/index.htm

Auto Grill

495 Eglinton Avenue West

416-489-0961

Toronto has no shortage of Pizza Restaurants, (we actually think there are too many), but the Auto Grill on Eglinton Avenue West, between Avenue Road and Spadina, serves one of Toronto's best.

On our most recent Saturday night visit we were surprised to see only 2 patrons in the restaurant at 7:30, but as we were about to go elsewhere, a friendly hostess ushered us to a pleasant window seat promising great food. Shortly thereafter our waiter brought us a plate of fresh Focaccia with an interesting crushed black olive spread. So far, so good.

I ordered one of the pasta specials, (at 15.95) a delicious combination of veal, mushrooms, and sausage atop a bed of fettuccine with a gentle mix of fresh vegetables and delicate herbs. My partner chose one of the pizzas, ($12.45) named “ITALIANO” which combined prosciutto, artichoke hearts, mushrooms, black olives, sundried tomatoes, tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese . After each shared in the others food, we both agreed that this pizza was as good as the best found in Toronto. The crust was thin, the toppings were generous and fresh, and the combination was excellent.

http://www.whynotdine.com/Canadian_Restaurants/Toronto_Restaurant_Reviews/Value/Italian_Restaurants_Toronto/PizzaToronto/index.htm
T.Dog
2006-08-21 19:44:38 UTC
Hey Becky, Grossmans Is cool for late night blues and the usual bar food at Cecil and Spadina.

Tdog
Jason T
2006-08-24 04:29:58 UTC
The Keg Steakhouse and Bar

Yummy
Nicky
2006-08-21 07:31:25 UTC
There are soooo many. I like the Spaghetti Factory it's an old favouite since I was kid!

Check out the link below
Roy P
2006-08-21 14:40:54 UTC
Best bet in Toronto? Easy, Chinatown. Asian food in T.O. is inexpensive and tasty thanks to high demand and plenty of competition. Try the burbs too - Scarborough and Mississauga.
2006-08-23 05:31:52 UTC
Mc Donald's
wolfwi4
2006-08-21 07:28:25 UTC